MICHAEL METZ: Retrospective

[SlideDeck2 id=806]

February 16 – March 25
Reception:  Thursday, February 16 – 5:30pm

“I take pictures with an open mind. If I’m in a city, I begin by shooting inanimate objects — buildings, reflections, and graffiti — looking for textures, shapes, patterns, and contrast. As the day progresses, I turn to portraits and people active in their lives. I enter the street empty and return with the world in my hand.” Chronicling the fifty-year photographic career of Burlington-based photographer Michael Metz, this exhibition features images captured around the world — from geometric architectural abstractions, to urban street portraiture. Metz’s artistic process, like iconic street photographers such as Cartier-Bresson and Robert Frank, emphasizes the serendipity of the urban environment and the intimacy of the human gaze. Metz, seeks to reveal the interior, poignant moments of his subjects as well as the complex dynamics between individuals — with all of their implied narratives. Discovering photography in high school, Metz taught independent studies in photography at Middlebury College, and later studied at the International Center of Photography in NYC. A passionate supporter of the Burlington arts community, he has served both as executive director and board president of Burlington City Arts and is a founder of the Generator makerspace. Metz is a trustee emeritus of Champlain College.